LEAP held its 2011 annual Leadership Awards dinner on July 21st at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles. The event garnered nearly 400 attendees and raised over $200,000. During the awards dinner, LEAP showcased the first ever Bid For Empowerment, a live auction dedicated to raise money for the Leadership in Action Program.
This year, LEAP had the privilege of honoring the following leaders and organization for their success and contribution to the Asian and Pacific Islander Communities:
Honorees – Individuals
- Vishakha Desai, President & CEO, Asia Society
- S.K. Gupta, Former Vice President, Operations, Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
- Daphne Kwok, Chair, Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders
David R. Barclay Alumni Leadership Award
- Victoria Tung, Associate Director, Office of Legislative and Intergovernmental Affairs, Office of the Secretary, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund, Washington D.C.
The evening also announced the appointment of Linda Akutagawa to President/CEO of LEAP. Akutagawa will succeed J.D. Hokoyama who will retire in November 2011. Please stay posted for further details for Mr. Hokoyama’s Retirement Roast.
Photo above of LEAP’s 2011 Leadership Awards Dinner Honorees L to R: JD Hokoyama (LEAP Founder), Neil Horikoshi (Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund), Jacinta Titialii-Abbott, Esq.(Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund), Daphne Kwok, Vishakha Desai, Ph.D., Victoria Tung, S.K. Gupta, Margaret Ashida (LEAP Board Chair)