LEAP has designed curriculum tailored specifically for Asian and Pacific Islander (API) high school students between the ages 15-18 year olds, using LEAP’s current leadership workshops as the foundational base. This new curriculum will help students increase their self-awareness, and challenge them to think critically about the type of leaders they are and hope to be. LEAP believes that this will enable youth to more accurately portray themselves in college and scholarship applications, interviews, resumes, and at networking opportunities.
High School Leadership Initiative is sponsored by
Participants in the workshops will be able to…
- Explore leadership strengths and areas for development
- Learn to expand and use multiple tools as a leader
- Discover ways to make memorable impressions on college and scholarship applications, at interviews, and in networking opportunities.
*Workshops are offered at various locations. To find out the nearest locations, email Mayta Lor at email@example.com or join our Facebook Group at bit.ly/LEAPHSLI.
- Discussing and breaking down stereotypes and assumptions about leadership
- Exploring leadership strengths and areas for development
- Understanding LEAP’s leadership framework
Understanding Your Cultural Values
- Exploring and articulating personal, family, and community values
- Discussing outside perceptions of values and possible conflicts
- Learning to expand and use multiple tools as a leader
Keeping It Real
- Utilizing tools to help present themselves
- Exploring ways to make memorable impressions on essays, at interviews, and in networking situations
Know your Roots: An API Timeline
- Learning about the history of APIs in America
- Sharing personal histories and how they are influenced by major events
- Watching a series of videos where college students give advice to their younger selves.
- Discussing expectations and questions about attending college
Getting In 1, 2, 3 (College)
- Creating action plan for college applications and scholarships
- Exploring best practices for letters of recommendation and references
- Discussing how to select the college that fits best
When: September 24, 2016
Time: 9:30am - 6:00pm
Where: Broward County Northwest Regional Library, 3151 N. University Dr., Coral Springs, FL 33065
To register, visit: www.leap.org/hsli_form.
Previous LEAP Workshops:
On May 26, 2016, LEAP delivered a college/leadership workshop at Downtown Magnet High School.
On October 21, 2015, in partnership with the Hmong American Student Association at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, LEAP delivered a 2-hour workshop, covering Leadership. Students were encouraged to think about their leadership and explore their leadership strengths and areas for development.
On October 10, 2015, in partnership with the Coral Springs Chinese Cultural Association in Coral Springs, Florida, LEAP delivered a full day of high school workshops. The 1-day event included modules related to Leadership, Asian and Pacific Islander (API) History, Cultural Values, Branding, and College Preparation. There were 25 students who attended the event.
On May 28, 2015, LEAP delivered a second high school workshop in Saint Paul, Minnesota to the Youth Leadership Group from the Center of Hmong Arts and Talent (CHAT). LEAP delivered a workshop on Understanding Your Cultural Values. In addition, students were able to talk about different types of leadership styles and how cultural values can inhibit or enhance their leadership styles.
On March 6, 2015, LEAP delivered a high school workshop in Los Angeles for the youth from Search to Involve Pilipino Americans (SIPA). LEAP was invited to help prepare youth for a networking opportunity at the SIPA gala. To help prepare the youth for the gala, LEAP delivered the Keeping it Real workshop where students were able to share their values and passion to present themselves genuinely.
On February 21, 2015, in collaboration with the Asian and Pacific Islander Obesity Prevention Alliance (APIOPA), Asian American Advancing Justice – Los Angeles (AAAJ - LA), and Mark Keppel High School, LEAP delivered a three-hour Keeping it Real workshop to help with branding at Pitzer College.
For additional information on the High School Leadership Initiative, please contact:
Mayta Lor, Development Associate
(213) 485-1422 x4105