Approaching its 18th year, LEAP's eight-week Leadership In Action (LIA) Summer Internship Program offers a unique opportunity for personal leadership development with hands-on training and exploration of the Asian and Pacific Islander (API) nonprofit sector. Interns will be placed at a nonprofit organization four days a week and will receive leadership training with LEAP once a week. Nationally recognized trainers will deliver workshops in critical skill areas. Issue discussions are on local or timely topics of interest and are facilitated by local community leaders/activists and LEAP trainers.
WHAT WILL I DO?
• Participate in leadership development training that develops me into a self-assured, knowledgeable leader
• Work at a Southern California nonprofit organization that serves the API community
• Collaborate with other interns to create a community impact project
• Make an impact in my community
HOW IS THE PROGRAM STRUCTURED?
• Intern four days a week in a Southern California area community-based organization
• Convene one day a week at LEAP to build and strengthen leadership skills. Topics include:
o Making powerful and persuasive presentations
o Leading and participating in meetings
o Understanding the issues affecting the API community
o Learning how to work effectively in a team
PROGRAM LENGTH AND STIPEND
The eight-week program runs from June 15 through August 7, 2015. Interns will receive compensation in the amount of $2,500 for successful completion of the program and are responsible for their own housing, transportation, and insurance.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
College students or recent graduates with...
• Prior experience in API communities
• A passion for learning and growing leadership skills
• An interest in gaining work experience in an API community-based nonprofit organization
Applicants must have completed two years of college by June 15, 2015 and currently be enrolled in college or a recent graduate. All applicants must be able to complete the full eight-week program and attend the following mandatory events:
• LIA Retreat week June 15 -19, 2015.
• LIA Leadership Training June 26, July 2, July 10, July 17, July 24, July 31
• LEAP Leadership Awards Gala July 16, 2015
• LIA Graduation August 7, 2015
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria
*Written and verbal communication skills
*Maturity and professional demeanor
*Grade point average
HOW TO APPLY
1. Complete the Leadership in Action application at: http://www.leap.org/lia_2015.
2. Submit the following documents:
• Two letters of recommendation
• Current resume
• Official transcript
• One Page Personal Statement - see prompt at www.leap.org/lia_2015
DEADLINE March 9, 2015.
For more information on the internship, please visit: www.leap.org/empower_lia
Leadership In Action is sponsored by
Southwest is the official airline of Leadership In Action.
In Memory of Chieh Huang