On August 5, 2016, LEAP completed its 19th Annual Leadership In Action (LIA) summer internship program. Leadership In Action is an eight-week paid summer internship program designed to develop emerging young leaders by providing college students with practical leadership skills and the opportunity to work hands-on in the Asian and Pacific Islander (API) community in Southern California. Selected interns are placed at their assigned community based organization for 4 days out of the week and 1 day at LEAP for leadership development. The graduation was held at the Asian and Pacific Islander Obesity Prevention Alliance (APIOPA), downtown Los Angeles. Intern supervisors, family, and friends attended the LIA graduation.
This year's 7 participants are:
- Ryan Huynh (University of California, Berkeley) / Placed at: Empowering Pacific Islander Communities
- Aian Hurtado-Doppenberg (University of California, Riverside) / Placed at: API Equality – Los Angeles
- Dee Pha (University of Minnesota, Twin Cities) / Placed at: LEAP
- Tony Tang (California State University, Los Angeles) / Placed at: East San Gabriel Valley Japanese Community Center
- Angie Tran (University of Oklahoma) / Placed at: Thai Community Development Center
- Sharayne "Ray-Ray" Tuala (Cerritos College) / Placed at: Search to Involve Pilipino Americans
- Danny Yang (California State University, Fresno) / Placed at: Asian Pacific Islander Obesity Prevention Alliance
Left to right (top row): Danny Yang, Aian Hurtado-Doppenberg, Tony Tang, Dee Pha, and Angie Tran
Left to right (bottom row): Ryan Huynh and Sharayne "Ray-Ray" Tuala
This summer the LIA interns participated in an array of workshops including: 21st Century Leader, Communicating with Style, Branding Yourself as a Leader, and Speaking with Impact. Interns also had an opportunity to attend LEAP’s 34th Annual Leadership Awards Gala where they met LEAP’s board members, sponsors, alumni, and friends.
LIA interns at the LEAP gala
As part of the program, the 2016 LIA interns were tasked with delivering a group community impact project and presenting it at their graduation. This year’s cohort decided to create a promotional video that shared the impact of the program on the participants and a self-published magazine with articles and artwork about being minorities within a minority. The magazine is being shared with college age youth around California, Minnesota, and Oklahoma.
Watch their video at: https://youtu.be/Zq5xnvJ85ZU
Download the Zine here
Thank you to our sponsors who helped made LIA possible:
Southwest is the official airline of Leadership In Action.
And the 2015 Bid for Empowerment Donors
We wish our interns - now LEAP alumni - the best of luck in their future endeavors!
For more information about LIA, visit: www.leap.org/empower_lia.